- 2 fillets of mild white fish (flounder, sole, etc.), about ¾ inch thick
- ½ cup Crème Fraiche
- 1 medium-size white onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh cilantro, to taste
- 1 lime, quartered (garnish)
Smear fish fillets with crème fraiche and set aside in a dish to marinate at room temperature for 1 hour
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Transfer each fish fillet to a piece of foil. Spoon any juices and crème fraiche from the marinating dish over fish. Cover fillets completely with a thin layer of onion slices. Season to taste with salt and pepper and seal the foil packets. Set on a baking sheet.
Bake for 8 – 10 minutes, according to thickness of fish. Transfer packets to plates, slit open, and sprinkle fish with chopped fresh cilantro. Garnish with lime wedges and serve immediately.
Serve with a green leafy salad.
Courtesy of The Silver Palate Cookbook
12 Hour Salad
- 8 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2-1/2 cups frozen peas (about 10 ounces), thawed
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
Place greens in a 3-qt. bowl or 13×9-in. dish. Layer with celery, peppers, onion and peas.
Mix mayonnaise, sour cream and sugar; spread over top. Sprinkle with cheese and bacon. Refrigerate, covered, 12 hours or overnight.
Courtesy of The Company’s Coming (Junior League of Kansas City, MO)