Slow Cooker Sicilian Chicken Soup
This Slow Cooker Sicilian Chicken Soup cooks all day; with a peppery broth, fresh vegetables, and tender chicken, this is comfort served in a bowl.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 8 hrs
Total Time: 8 hrs 15 mins
- 2 chicken breasts
- 8 cups water
- 4 heaping tablespoons chicken base
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 4 celery ribs diced
- 3 carrots diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 medium russet potatoes peeled and diced
- 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley
- 5 garlic cloves chopped, I use my garlic press
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 pound ditalini pasta cooked and set aside
- 2 cups shredded asiago or parmesan cheese
In slow cooker add chicken breasts, water, chicken base, onion, celery, carrots, potatoes, diced tomatoes with their juices, garlic, parsley, 2 teaspoons salt and pepper.
Cook on high for 6 hours, remove chicken breasts and shred, place back in soup and bake another 2 hours.
At the end of 8 hours, use a potato masher, mash the soup around a few times, letting some of the potatoes get a little smashed. I don’t try too hard on this, I just mash 2-3 times and call it good. Add noodles to the slow cooker and season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
Serve with 1/4 cup of sharp cheese on top, we like Asiago and parmesan.
*We actually like to serve the serve the soup with the noodles on the side, letting each person add the amount of noodles they want.*
Credit: Dash of Sanity