ITALIAN SAUSAGE AND TORTELLINI SOUP- SLOW COOKER
Serves : 6
Cook: 3-4 hours on High, or 6-10 hours on Low.
- 1 lb of hot or mild Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups beef or chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (8oz) tomato sauce
- 1 can (19oz) tomatoes in juice, chopped ( I prefer Petite Diced tomatos
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 pkg (10oz) fresh or frozen cheese-filled tortellini
- 1 zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage 8-10 minutes, or until browned, stirring to break up meat. With a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to a slow cooker. Add onion, carrots, broth, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, tomato sauce, tomatoes and mushrooms to slow cooker.
Cover and cook on High 3-4 hours or on Low 6-10 hours, or until vegetables are tender.
Meanwhile, cook tortellini according to package directions. Drain.
Add zucchini, parsley and tortellini to slow cooker and cook on High 15-20 minutes, or until zucchini is tender. Spoon into individual bowls, and top with grated Parmesan cheese.
You could cook the sausage the night before then add to the slow cooker when ready to make soup.
“Soups” Womans Day magazine, circa 1980