Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
Yield: 6-8 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
Total Time: 8 hours 15 minutes
This slow cooker creamy chicken and wild rice soup will be the star of your winter cuisine! Perfect for chilly days.
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked wild and brown rice blend (see notes)
- 1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large onion, diced (a heaping cup)
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups no salt added chicken stock
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- milk or water as necessary to thin soup
Combine all ingredients except cream in a large slow cooker.
Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Remove bay leaves and discard. Remove chicken thighs, shred and return to slow cooker.
In a medium bowl, place 1/2 cup heavy cream. Slowly whisk 1-2 cups of hot soup into cream. Then, slowly pour that mixture back into the slow cooker while stirring.
Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed before serving.
This turns out very stew-like. If you want it more soupy, it is recommended to use only 3/4 cup of rice rather than 1 1/2 cups. DO NOT use quick-cooking or instant rice.
Credit: Pintrest Find