Roasted Squash Couscous Salad
- 1 Medium butternut squash (peeled and cut in to ½-in pieces)
- 2 ½ Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ Teaspoon each salt & pepper
- 1 ½ Cups pearl couscous
- 2 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 ½ Tablespoon oil
- 2 Teaspoon honey
- ½ Small red onion (thinly sliced)
- 4 Cups baby arugula
- ½ Cup blanched almonds (toasted and roughly chopped)
- 2 oz Pecorino cheese (similar to Parmesan, but made from sheep’s milk instead of cow’s milk. It is a hard salty cheese) You can substitute Romano or Asiago if you can’t find Pecorino.
- Heat oven to 450°
- Toss butternut squash with 1 tablespoon olive oil and ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper. On rimmed baking sheet put the butternut squash and roast until golden brown and tender, 20-25min.
- Meanwhile, cook 1 ½ cups pearl couscous per package directions. Drain and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, 1 ½ tablespoon olive oil, and 2 teaspoon honey. Toss with ½ small red onion (thinly sliced) and let stand 5 minutes.
- Toss couscous with onion mixture, then fold in squash, 4 cups baby arugula, ½ cup blanched almonds (toasted and roughly chopped) and 2 oz pecorino cheese (shaved with peeler).
NOTE: You can prepare the squash and couscous in advance and refrigerate up to 2 days. Then toss with the lettuce and dressing before serving.